Release of OSXFUSE 2.3.0 Posted on 25 Jul 2011
This is the first public release of OSXFUSE, a successor to MacFUSE. OSXFUSE 2.3.0 is a beta release and may contain bugs.
- OSXFUSE is based on Tuxera's MacFUSE 2.1.9 release, that has proven to be reasonably stable. MacFUSE 2.1.9 can be obtained from Tuxera.
- Features a MacFUSE compatibility layer to support existing MacFUSE file systems without the need to recompile them. OSXFUSE can be a drop-in replacement for MacFUSE.
- OSXFUSE supports Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7 including full support for 64 bit kernels. Support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Intel/PowerPC) will be added in a future release.
- OSXFUSE 2.3 follows a simple rule: If it is not broken, do not fix it. Besides rebranding as OSXFUSE and addition of the MacFUSE compatibility layer there have been few code changes.
The OSXFUSE installer offers the following choices/packages:
- The package "OSXFUSE Core" includes the kernel extension, the user space C library
libosxfuseand the Objective-C framework
- The package "OSXFUSE Preference Pane" installs the OSXFUSE Preference Pane, which is used to update OSXFUSE or uninstall it.
- The "MacFUSE Compatibility Layer" provides support for file systems build for MacFUSE. If the MacFUSE compatibility layer is selected MacFUSE will be uninstalled automatically. MacFUSE file systems will not be removed.
OSXFUSE can be uninstalled by pressing the "Remove OSXFUSE" button in the OSXFUSE Preference Pane. The Preference Pane itself will not be uninstalled by this step and has to be removed manually by secondary-clicking on "FUSE for OS X" in System Preferences and selecting "Remove FUSE for OS X Preference Pane".